Saturday, May 14, 2011

Health Tip #4 in Breakfast Series

Healthy Pancakes
Ok so I totally love pancakes but they're definitely not the healthiest way to start your day.  I actually don't understand why we start our days with starchy, sugary foods that could actually be desserts!  But all that being said, I do love pancakes.  So I created my own version of them so I can still get my fix when I need it.
I make protein oat cakes!  They're still yummy but they're also good for you!  Heres my recipe:
2 egg whites
3 TBSP oatmeal flakes
1 pinch cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg
1/2 Tsp vanilla 
1 splash milk

Heat a non-stick frying pan with either 1 TBSP olive oil or use a no fat spray like PAM for even less calories.  Make sure the frying pan is super hot before you poor the mix in.  While the pan is heating take a fork and whip everything together.  When the pan is hot, go ahead and poor the mixture into the pan.  Then cook it just like you would a pancake.  Let it bubble and let the liquid cook through a bit before you flip it over to let the other side brown a little.  Once its cooked, move to a plate.  If you like you can put another sprinkle of cinnamon on but that's optional.  Then you can put 1 TBSP of maple syrup on your pancake.  I try to use real maple syrup rather than the kind that's filled with artificial sweeteners and coloring etc.   I even like to heat it up in the pan and then poor it over the pancack to keep your pancake hot. You don't have to feel so guilty about this pancake because you're getting protein and whole grains all in one go.   Make sure you eat it while its hot and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Pan cakes :) will try it out! Looks v appetizing for sure :)
    Thank you thara

    Gurpreet Sidhu

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! i made bluberry pancakes ...... the modified.... inspired.... berry pancake....yummy!!

    by: HitTheChiken_JS

    ReplyDelete